The Restoration Movement of the Palaces of the Tuileries & Saint-Cloud
The story line of Imperial Wedding of Old Paris crescendos to the France-Prussian War, the Siege of Paris, and the burning of both the Palaces of the Tuileries and Saint-Cloud.
As of 2011, two separate restoration movements are in progress: one for the rebuilding of the Palace of the Tuileries and the other for the rebuilding of the Palace of Saint-Cloud.
The loss of both palaces within a seven month period was heart-breaking not only to the French but for the entire civilized world. These palaces, although symbols of royalty, were much more: they were magnificent monuments of architecture, fine art and decorative art. Each was filled with 17th through 19th century paintings and numerous precious objects and interior boiseries that were representative of the finest of their eras.
The project to restore the
His premise was that the
His intent was to rebuild the Tuileries’ staircase, the Theater, the Chapel, the Gallery, the Salon de la Paix, and the 600-square meter ballroom and meeting space, the Salle des Maréchaux. The southern half to the Pavillion de Flore would be made available either for additional space for the Louvre to present displays and exhibitions or as a museum devoted to the history of the
The National Committee for the Reconstruction of the Tuileries was comprised of 1,500 members at its height in 2006. However, after Boumier died in 2009, the movement lost support, especially in light of the worldwide recession.
Meanwhile, the “Association Reconstruisons Saint-Cloud!” to rebuild the
In November, 2009, Bouvet gave an interview to the blog lacourdemarbre (“The Marble Court”) in which he explained that the association is a “working group” that would raise investment funds with the hope of paying for itself from fees paid by visitors to the reconstructed palace and would therefore be self-financing. The building could be used as meeting rooms, shopping, public offices, a vocational school or for housing for those who maintain the 400-acre park.
One of the movement’s leading proponents is M. Pierre-Andre Lablaude, the Chief Architect of Historical Monuments in charge of the National Domain of Saint-Cloud. In an address that he gave on December 9, 2007, he revealed that the basement and foundation of the Palace of Saint-Cloud still exists--“We are fortunate to have the entire basement, or one-quarter of the building. We have the know-how, the materials, the stone-cutters.”
Plans for Saint-Cloud and the
The web site of Association Reconstruisons Saint-Cloud is www.reconstitutionssaintcloud.fr
[i] The New York Times, July 12, 1920, p. 1
[ii] Pierre de Lano, The Empress Eugénie: Secrets of an Empire, (New York, Dodd, Mead & Co., 1894), p. 7-12